Ever since I was a little boy my parents would take my sister and I to the library. We loved books and still do, but we always had to pay fines because we didn’t have a reliable system to keep track of when our library books were due. This has changed for the better, because now the library sends you an email (if you provided an email address) when your library books are due and you can renew your library books online!
The library sends you an email 3 days before your library books are due. You can renew your library books online by following the tutorial below or telephonically.
- Type www.capetown.gov.za/library/opac in your browser or click on the link
- Hover over My Library and click on Personal Data
- Enter your membership barcode that begins with ECT on your library card in the UserID textbox
- Enter your date of birth in the password field exactly like this DD/MM/YYYY
- Click Login
- Below the Personal Data information you should see Change Personal Data. Create a new password of something you will remember and click Change.
- Now click on Renewals
- Below the Personal Data information you will see Overview materials in loan
- Tick the library books you would like to renew
- Click Renew marked items
- Ta da! You have officially renewed your library books online!
Remember that you can only renew your library books online a maximum of 3 times. After that you will have to take them back in. I know it’s sad to part with them; however it is necessary as other people might want to read them too!