Renewing your car license is such a time sucking chore; however it must be done. Luckily for us, the City of Cape Town has made it easy to renew your car license online! No more long queues and using your leave days to renew your car license! Yay! 🙂
Updated: 10th June 2015
City of Cape Town has changed the car license renewal process quite a bit. It looks like they’ve changed it for the better as you now have a central login for all the city’s e-services.
It is also more secure as you will only be able to renew a car license that is registered to your I.D. number. I still think it is secure, but you can renew other car licenses as well.
What you need to renew your car license online:
- Internet Connection
- Digital copy of your I.D. or Passport
- Your address
- and a car license that needs renewing, of course! 😛
Registering City of Cape Town’s e-Service and activating the Motor Vehicle Licensing
- First check if the service is available to you by looking at the map below
- If it is available, type eservices.capetown.gov.za in your browser or click on the URL
- Click on Register here
- Now you need to fill in your details.
- Note: Your username is changed to upper case once you click the Register button.
- Once you have filled in all your details, ticked the data privacy statement and clicked Register, you will be redirected to the Registration successful page.
- You can click the Close button and open the email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note: You will need your username and temporary password from this email.
- Now go back to eservices.capetown.gov.za, this time filling in your login details and clicking the Log on button.
- Now choose a different password. Remeber to use your temporary password as your old password. Once you have clicked the button to change your password you will be redirected to the Welcome page.
- Click on the Service Activation link on the left menu or in the welcome text.
- Click on the Vehicle licensing Activate service button.
- In the next section click the Continue button.
- Note: You can ignore the Registration information section unless you have a Business partner number.
- Fill in your address then click the Continue button.
- Upload a digital copy of your I.D./Passport and click the Continue button.
- Accept the digital privacy statement by ticking the checkbox and click the Submit button.
- Click the Back button.
- Note: Write down and keep the service activation reference number in a safe place.
- You will see that the Vehicle licensing service says In-Process. You will now have to wait 2 business days for the email with instructions to make payment.
- I received an email today (1 business day after applying) approving my application for the Motor Vehicle License Renewal service.
I thought I was applying for the license renewal the whole time and it turns out I was just applying for the e-Service. 😀
Renewing your Car License Online
- Follow step 2 again and login with your details.
- Click on Motor vehicle licensing above the left menu.
- Click on Renew motor vehicle license.
- You are now on step 1 of 5 steps. Fill in your information if it is not there already then click the Next button.
- You are now on step 2 of 5 steps. Fill in the vehicle owner’s address information then click the Next button.
- You are now on step 3 of 5 steps. Fill in the Vehicle registration number which is the License number on your MVL1 form, your Vehicle make (Toyota, Mazda, BMW, etc.) and then click Add to submission list.
- You are still on step 3 of 5 steps. Once your vehicle is on the submission list click the Next button.
- You are now on step 4 of 5 steps. Accept the Data Privacy Statement and Disclaimer and click the Next button.
- You are now on step 5 of 5 steps. Congratulations, your submission was successful! 🙂 Remember to keep your reference number safe.
- I received the email requesting payment the very next day! 🙂 Efficiency!
I will continue this tutorial once I receive the license disc. I will also be making a video tutorial which will be just as easy to follow! 🙂
I paid on the 27th of September and on the 5th of October they sent my new license. I received it on the 14th of October.If you do not receive your license within 13 working days of payment(It seems like it takes them 5 business days to process payment so you should factor that into your waiting period), you should call 0860 10 30 89.
Speedy, efficient, effortless and an absolute pleasure! What are you waiting for? Go ahead and try it!
Written by Kurt Wyngaard